Understanding Peyronie’s Disease
Peyronie’s Disease (PD) is a deformity of the penis, typically a curvature, often associated with pain. It is due to a build up of scar tissue, or “plaque” that forms inside the penis, encasing the penis’s spongy erectile tissue. The buildup of plaque tethers the shaft of the penis, causing curvature and shortening, as well as loss of penis length and girth. This can be devastating to patients and their partners, causing discomfort and embarrassment, and often leads to the patient and partner wanting to avoid sex.
You are not alone: Peyronie’s disease is believed to affect up to 5-10 % of men
Dr. Peters offers specialized diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to Peyronie’s Disease, so that men with PD can regain the confidence to enjoy an active and satisfying sex life.
The Anatomy of Peyronie’s Disease
Normal Anatomy of the Penis
On cross section of the penis:
- You can see two (2) cylinders of spongy erectile tissue.
- Cylinders are surrounded by Tunica Albuginea.
- With injury, a Peyronie’s Plaque forms along the Tunica Albuginea.
- This plaque will typically cause the penis to curve with erections.
You may have one or more of the following:
- pain, typically with erections
- curvature of the penis
- lump on the shaft of the penis
- loss of penile length
- loss of penile girth
- wasting or indentation of penile shaft
- buckling of penis with penetration
The most common cause is trauma to the penis
- “micro” trauma: small, repetitive injuries to the penis which may go unrecognized during sex
- “macro” or acute trauma: the erect penis bends forcefully, causing a “pop” sound and immediate loss of erection
- Other causes: genetic predisposition, i.e. Dupuytren disease (contracture in the hand)
A joint decision made by Dr. Peters and you:
- Observation: men with minimal curvature
- Non-medical therapy: traction therapy
- Medical therapy: oral & injection therapy
- Surgery: plication; plaque incision/excision
- Penile Implant Surgery
- Stem cells, sound wave therapy, blood plasma therapy