Erectile Dysfunction Specialist in Long Island, New York
While most men can experience some occasional erection trouble, this is not necessarily a cause for concern. However, if erectile dysfunction problems persist often, it can negatively impact your intimate relationships and self-confidence.
We understand this is a sensitive topic, which is why Dr. David Peters and his professional staff make your comfort a priority when visiting his Men’s Health practice. Erectile dysfunction is a medical problem and requires a medical solution. Our comprehensive approach to the treatment of male impotence will help you to determine the most effective options for your sexual dysfunction.
- Erectile tissue is contained within (2) cylinders (corpora cavernosa), which lie side by side, within the shaft of the penis
- Each cylinder of erectile tissue is encased by the outer layer (Tunica Albuginea) which stretches to accommodate an erection
- Blood from an artery fills the spaces within the erectile tissue
- The Tunica Albuginea stretches to its capacity and creates a rigid cylinder
- The veins are compressed, so that little to no blood leaves the rigid cylinder during an erection
(2) key components are needed to achieve and maintain a quality erection:
High inflow of blood (From Arteries)
Low outflow of blood (From Veins)
Consistent or recurrent inability to attain and/or maintain penile erection sufficient for sexual satisfaction
Facts about ED
- ED is common
- ED is treatable
- nearly half of men over the age of 40 years old experience some degree of ED
- Younger men often struggle with ED as well
By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex
The vast majority of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder (a medical problem)
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, Dr. Peters can recommend the proper treatment that may help you return to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by any of the following:
- Diabetes: insulin and non-insulin dependent
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart Disease: coronary artery disease, heart attack
- Stroke (“brain attack”)
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Hormone problem: low testosterone, elevated prolactin
- Sleep Disorder: Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Tobacco use: current or past use
- Neurological disease: Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis
- Traumatic Injury: brain, spinal cord, pelvis
- Spine Surgery
- Surgery to remove the prostate: Prostate Cancer, BPH
- Surgery to remove the bladder: Bladder Cancer
- Surgery to remove the colon: Colon Cancer
- Substance use: drugs, alcohol or medications
- Chronic narcotic use
- Psychiatric Disease and medications
The following outlines Dr. David Peters’ comprehensive approach to patients presenting with Erectile Dysfunction:
- Assessment of your current medical problems, previous surgeries, and history
- Assessment of your current list of medications
- Cardiovascular Risk Assessment: is it safe for your heart to be sexually active?
- Full physical examination including male genito-urinary examination
- Laboratory testing: to look for diabetes, high cholesterol, low testosterone, thyroid problem
- Advanced diagnostic testing: Penile Doppler Ultrasound (when warranted)
Contact Dr. Peters today at (631) 444-3641 to schedule your appointment!
Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.